A northern Police force engaged with risual to understand the extent of their data quality issues and to be given guidance on how to improve their data, as their staff experienced issues. The police force also wanted to review their current data and analytics platform and be supported with a strategy for change that will support their transformation data-driven journey; as well as understand how they could increase operational efficiencies through analytics and data science.
The technical requirements put to risual were:
- A data platform that will allow for the development of a data quality scorecard that can be shared throughout the organisation.
- Provide external and partner reporting.
- The ability to assess data quality and define quality measures.
- Enable self-service BI.
- Real-time reporting without impacting the performance of operational systems.
The data and analytics platform should support the inter-agency sharing of data.A risual Enterprise Architect conducted a Data and Analytics Strategy to outline a vision for strategic change within WYP, putting in place a framework that will:
- Improve data quality.
- Connect staff with data.
- Move the force further towards becoming an intelligence and data-driven organisation.
In the first stage, a data maturity assessment was carried out and then a review of the data quality and the source systems. The outputs from the assessment workshop included a Vision and Scoping report and recommendations that included upstream strategies to address data quality issues at the point of data entry with some downstream strategies to improve data quality and data maturity across the organisation including data cleansing metrics and Master Data Management. A target architecture was also proposed with a strategy roadmap defining goals for year 1 through to year 3.
Following the Assessment and Strategy engagement, the Head of Information Management and Governance at the Police Force worked with the IT team and business stakeholders to build a business case to start the journey for the force to improve their data quality.
Options under consideration include using public cloud services and potential replacement of legacy databases that are hindering the objective to have golden nominals.
The vision report provided the Police Force with a clear set of goals and objectives to achieve the business and technical requirements.
The solution saw:
- A platform that improved collaboration within the company.
- Improved data quality.
- Provided detailed reporting and analytics that could be shared externally and in real-time.