Improvements in latest version
The Run Command option is a useful feature for running scripts with an Azure virtual machine (VM) directly from the Azure portal without connecting to the VM itself.
A new version is currently in preview and offers the improvements listed below which address many of the existing limitations.
- Scripts can now be cancelled
- Multiple scripts can be run either in parallel or in sequence
- Scripts can be incorporated into ARM templates for automated deployment and customisation of VMs
- Long-running scripts are supported
- Sensitive data (passwords/secrets) can be passed to the script securely
- A timeout value can be configured for individual scripts