First line service desk is critical for this National Special Police Force. The back-end IT services need to be monitored to consistently perform and prevent security breaches. The Police Force has been faced with challenges including:
- Access to out of hours support.
- Under resourced internal IT team
- Operational challenges during COVID-19.
At the beginning of 2020, the internal service desk was under resourced for the volume of tickets being raised daily. COVID-19 and quickly on-boarding remote working has impacted several businesses, and this Force is no exception. Due to the roll-out of modern technology (Microsoft Teams) and an increase in remote working, the Force experienced a spike in the number of raised tickets per day.
Implementing technology quickly can be straight forward but ensuring your end users adopt it can be the challenge – even more so when you are upgrading technology/systems during a global pandemic. Throughout the pandemic, employees had various commitments, thus the Force allowed for a flexible remote working strategy to ensure each employee could continue to commit to childcare and other responsibilities. With the increasing number of employees in need of flexible working hours, the Force required for 24×7 service desk support to align with the new ways of working.
Working closely to provide the right solution, the National Special Police Force now has a Managed Services contract in place providing first line service desk IT support (including 3rd party and non-Microsoft technology support).
risual Managed Services team provides 24x7x365 support to overcome the original challenges faced with not having access to out of hours support. The entire force will now have an additional IT Support Team to help manage and resolve any cases which have been raised.
risual are a Microsoft Gold Partner across 14 categories and Azure Expert MSP, accredited with ISO 27001, 20000 and 9001. All staff are permanent, UK-based employees, holding NPPV-3 security clearance with Warwickshire Police.
risual Managed Services support many public sector clients including United Kingdom Export Finance, providing comprehensive 1st, 2nd and 3rd line support services, with 24x7x365 cover. The IT support processes are ISO 20000 accredited with processes built from the ITIL v3 and v4 frameworks. Providing bespoke and flexible agreements to ensure your requirements are met.
The IT support team will act as a security blanket and an extension to your internal team, providing services such as:
- Proactive monitoring.
- Alerting, through a combination of Microsoft services (SCOM, OMS, Azure Sentinel).
- Proactive patching service covering all environments.
The service also delivers consumption and licensing optimisation services for cloud environments, through comprehensive reporting dashboards linked to our IT Service Management system.
- Increased overall performance. All employees now have more time to focus their efforts on projects and incidents.
- Efficient processes. An extended IT team enables staff to quickly log incidents. Leading to a faster response and solution. The Force will no longer have a backlog of cases due to an under resourced team.
- Safety net. Regardless how busy the force may become; rMS will continue to be a safety net feature. A
- Proactive monitoring. The service desk will continue to proactively monitor to prevent any potential incidents.