After attending a networking meeting in my favourite city of Norwich in which had a session on improving your LinkedIn profile and then attending Thom McKiernan’s excellent ‘Pimp your profile’ track at the risual summit I thought I would highlight what I thought were some useful tips to achieve a better profile.
- Use a professional looking headshot (remember this is not Facebook/Instagram so no wild night out pictures) and it is best if there is a white or neutral background.
- Use a good background picture on your profile that best represents you or your company you work for.
- Create a headline that is enlightening and creative using relevant keywords so you can be found easily when searched.
- Customise your URL.
- Ensure that you complete an informative summary in the ‘About’ section to highlight your role and how you can assist employers.
- Embed interesting media elements in the ‘Featured’ section such as blogs, images, presentations, videos etc. This really is a great way to engage and highlight what you would like to get across.
- Get recommendations. Having clients, managers and colleagues provide positive feedback is a great way to boost your profile.
- Complete all sections including previous roles, education and certification.
- Join LinkedIn groups, this helps in understanding other businesses ethos and requirements.
- Be active on LinkedIn either by liking articles/posts or publishing your own articles or reposting interesting pieces.
Understanding the components of developing a robust LinkedIn profile is a key piece of having success and it is a great way to converse and grow business.