Updated our ADMX files today to support our roll out of Windows 10 and upon checking all was ok after a replicate I kept being presented with the following error:
I checked my backup before I added the extra files to note that the file it is referencing is a new one. A quick bing presented me with: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3077013. I wasn’t too keen on Method 1 (Just ignore it!) so went with Method 2 which worked a treat:
- Delete the LocationProviderADM.admx and LocationProviderADM.adml files from the central store.
- Rename Microsoft-Windows-Geolocation-WLPAdm.admx to LocationProviderADM.admx
- Rename Microsoft-Windows-Geolocation-WLPAdm.adml to LocationProviderADM.adml
Hope it helps!