We had an interesting one come in today from a customer. They reported that on one of their exchange servers (2013 CU 8) the replication service had been constantly restarting for around a week.
We hopped on and immediately took a look at the event logs, we found the below:
(Event 2070 The Microsoft Exchange Replication Service encountered an error while inspecting the logs and database for …. on startup)
Additionally in the MailboxDatabaseFailureItems log we found:
(Event 1, MailboxDatabaseFailureItems)
We had tried this fix: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3003580 but it didn’t solve our issue.
Going on a hunch we suspended the database the logs were mentioning and voila the service stabilised!
We then removed the copy (and the files) of the dodgy db and re-added it, all working as expected!