Exchange 2013, UAG and Lync 2013 contact list issues

2017-12-07T10:07:00+00:00 November 7th, 2013|Exchange, Skype|

We had a number of issues after moving to Exchange 2013 with our current setup and have been researching furiously for a few weeks now and it was only today that we realised that the issues we had identified were linked! Here’s what we were seeing:

  • Lync Mobile client 2013 – unsupported version and unable to view meetings on the client
  • Off-domain Lync client connects but users are unable to see their contacts list
  • Outlook prompting a number of times for authentication
  • General slowness of the lync mobile client
  • We publish our Exchange 2013 via UAG 2010 SP3 and our Lync is published via TMG 2010 currently. After migrating to Exchange 2013 our contacts store was changed to the Unified Contacts Store (UCS) which is published via EWS which in turn is published via UAG (lots of publishing!). After much research we stumbled upon our issue, its seems that UAG pre-auths by default on AD and EWS traffic which Lync does not support. Therefore the fix was to disable SSO for the EWS and Autodiscover publishing rules in UAG. Full instructions below:

    On the trunk that publishes Outlook edit the application for EWS and select the Authentication tab:
    EWS
    Untick the SSO tick box.

    Repeat this step for at least the Autodiscover application too. Also on all UAG boxes set the following reg key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWhaleCome-GapvonUrlFilterFullAuthPassthru and set the value to 1

    More info on the above: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee809087.aspx. Apply the UAG policy then perform an IIS reset on all UAG boxes.

    Credit to The Missing Lync for providing the above instructions although this blog references an O365 setup our is an on-premise solution which the fix also worked for.