CRM 2013 Entity will not load

2017-12-04T09:54:46+00:00 November 6th, 2013|CRM|

Over the last few months we have been preparing for the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 Release, I will Blog about the preparation made at a later date, but I would like to discuss an issue I personally ran into during the first upgrade.

The way I tested was as follows:

1) Try to load the cases entity from the ribbon (JS Console .toString Error on case:”Entity List”)

2) Successfully load the entity by Direct URL (you can find the URL by using the following article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg328483.aspx)

3)Disabled all entity related JS (Not required but I did this because its good practice when dealing with errors.)

 

First of all you need to know how this install was done so you can know if the issue is similar:

1) In-Place upgrade from Dynamics CRM 2011

2) Sitemap modified ever (by Sitemap Editor or Manual XML)

 

The resolution to this was to check the sitemap and see the difference between our cases entity and the other default entities. after checking the sitemap in the CS Area the issue was obvious. the Sub Area URL Node is not in any other CRM Sub Area.

 

XML

 

Deleting this Node allowed the Cases entity to load.

 

I Hope this helped and allows you all to have as good an upgrade as possible.