Error 25150 Unable to register the CCM_Service_HostingConfiguration endpoint 80041002

2017-12-04T15:19:01+00:00 October 19th, 2013|Windows|

****Update: An article has been created by Microsoft detailing their fix for this issue http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2905359 ****

I was recently installing SCCM 2012 SP1 for a customer with their underlying infrastructure running on Server 2012. Although the SCCM 2012 SP1 media had been downloaded back in July upon trying to install the client on the primary site server I suffered the error: Couldn’t verify ‘X:WindowsccmsetupMicrosoftPolcyPlatformSetup.msi’ authenticode signature. Return code 0x800b0101

 As per detailed in the below TechNet blog.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/justin_gao/archive/2013/03/26/troubleshooting-sc2012-sp1-configmgr-microsoftpolicyplatformsetup-msi-authenticode-signature-return-code-0x800b0101.aspx

Rather than installing the hotfix for Server 2012/Windows 8 I went straight to CU3 to enable the installation of the latest client for server 2012 with the correctly signed MicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup.msi.

The client installed correctly on all server 2012 site servers except for the primary site server, which fails with error: MSI: Setup was unable to register the CCM_Service_HostingConfiguration endpoint

The error code is 80041002.

Installing both KB2756872 and KB2749655 did not allow me to install the client.

At this point I made a judgement call that I wasn’t far enough down the line with the customers installation so we reverted to a snap shot taken prior to the initial SCCM 2012 SP1 installation. This time I applied both the above hotfixes and was able to install the SP1 client prior to the CU.

However I thought I would try and re-construct the behaviour in my lab which I was able to do.

After various attempts to resolve it I tried the old trick of creating a  “clientpatch” folder underneath the X64 and i386 folders in the “Client” folder on the primary site server. I placed the CU3 msp inside this folder and I then used the ccmsetup switch of Patch=<patch location>.

This successfully installed the client and please apply caution to using the patch= command and apply only in your development environments.