Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Failure "0x800f0818”

2017-12-11T14:34:26+00:00 May 18th, 2011|Windows|
We ran into an issue recently while trying to upgrade our Windows 2008 R2 server to SP1.
While running the setup we received the following error “An unknown error has occurred. Error: 0x800f0818”
image
After receiving this error i first installed the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB947821) [February 2011] which i hoped would give me an indication of the issue.
After installing the above check the following log “%systemroot%LogsCBSCheckSur.log”.
CheckSUR
=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
Package Version 11.0
2011-05-18 12:11
Checking Windows Servicing Packages
Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
(f)    CBS MUM Corrupt    0x00000000    servicingPackagesPackage_for_KB2454826_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.2.0.mum        Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7600.16385.mum does not match the actual file name
Checking Package Watchlist
Checking Component Watchlist
Checking Packages
Checking Component Store
Summary:
Seconds executed: 311
Found 1 errors
CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 1
Unavailable repair files:
servicingpackagesPackage_for_KB2454826_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.2.0.mum
servicingpackagesPackage_for_KB2454826_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.2.0.cat
From this log file i could see the culprit files above (highlighted in red). So first thing i did was download the KB specified from MS.
After downloading the MSU i extracted what was in the MSU with the following command
Expand -F:* Updatename.msu C:FolderLocation
This then extracted a CAB file which i then in return ran another expand command against
Expand -F:* cabname.CAB C:CabDestination
Once the files from the CAB file have expanded run a search for the Unavailable repair files mentioned earlier
  • Package_for_KB2454826_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.2.0.cat
  • Package_for_KB2454826_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.2.0.mum
Once you have found the above 2 files copy and paste them to the “%systemroot%ServicingPackages” if prompted to overwrite then do so.
After i did the above step re-run the Service Pack and all should work Smile