I have a SCCM server installed on site to deal with client and server machine patching. After the last patch Tuesday I noticed that the windows updates under Software Updates had not been synchronized with the latest updates. To dig deeper into this I navigated under System Status – Site Status – <<site name>> -Component Status and noticed that the SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER component was in a warning state. By right clicking and selected Show Messages – All i was able to see a bit more information:
The entire description is as follows:
SMS WSUS Synchronization failed.
Message: Thread was being aborted.
Seems strange that the thread was being aborted so I decided to have a look at the good old Application event viewer to see what was going on at a similar time. I found that the SMS_SITE_BACKUP component was running a split second after the SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER component which was causing the SMS_SITE_VSS_WRITER component to stop the SMS services as part of preparing for backup (wow that’s a lot of components in one sentence!)
I then changed the schedule start after property for this back up component task by navigating to Site Management – <<Site Name>> – Site Settings – Site Maintenance – Tasks – Backup ConfigMgr Site Server Properties and set the Schedule to run at a time that doesn’t conflict with the synchronization (just an hour later than it was).
This solved the issue and updates are synchronizing happily again now 🙂
Hopefully this can save you some valuable troubleshooting time!